Letter from Ukraine

This blog is intended to communicate my experiences while in Poltava, Ukraine during Spring 2010 as a Fulbright Lecturer.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Final notes on Kyiv







My 2.5 days in Kyiv were interesting mostly in that I was able to find my way around on my own, all the way to the Fulbright office, managing to avoid being hit by cars driving in snow on the sidewalks. I met with the Fulbright Ukraine Director and his very helpful Program Officer who facilitated my stay by arranging the apartment, rides from airport and to the train station later, and facilitating a phone call to my contacts in Poltava. Thank you, Natalia!

I also managed to find an iPod-to-USB cable at a large computer store, City.com, because I inadvertently left mine back at home. Gotta listen to and download to my iPod!
Anyway, as I walked around, I took a few pix with my Motorola Karma phone - again, not the best, but typically I never take photos during my travels, preferring to capture in my own memory only. So what you see is a statue in one of the main squares in Kyiv, and a view at ground level of the chaotic car situation. My next stop was the Kyiv train station, a very modern edifice where police routinely walk around rousing and kicking out the drunks who thought they had found a nice, warm place to crash ...
Next stop - Poltava!

2 comments:

  1. There were so many outstanding statues in Moscow. So you are brave enough to drive? I took the train two summers when I was there. I really enjoyed it. There were four berths to a car and four of us. It was the one time I could say I slept with two Deans and a Chair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lee. I saw the beginnings of your travels on FB and decided to become educated about a place that I have never been. I look forward to seeing the Ukraine and all of it's beauty.

    ReplyDelete