Letter from Ukraine

This blog is intended to communicate my experiences while in Poltava, Ukraine during Spring 2010 as a Fulbright Lecturer.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

First days in Poltava

I arrived in Poltava the evening of Thursday, Jan. 28, by train from Kyiv. I was assisted both getting on and then off the train with my heavy duffel by a very nice fellow named Alex. Alex was trying to practice as much English as he could via speaking with me, so I spent a lot of the trip in the hallway chatting and drinking very hot tea. I learned that he and his wife would be new parents in June. Thank you and congratulations again, Alex from Siberia!
When I arrived in Poltava, a literal welcome wagon awaited me, with two of my new colleagues from the Institute plus a couple of fellows from the agency with keys to my apartment (mind you, this was well after 9:00 PM). My colleagues gave me a bag of food and coffee, tea, fruit, cheese - all sorts of goodies to make me feel right at home! My apartment is up five flights of stairs, but it is very nice once inside, and I crashed pretty much immediately after everyone left.
The next day, Friday, I enjoyed my first full day in my host city. I had lunch with two of my associates in the Institute in a traditional Ukrainian eatery (very European - plain, very simple and clean, but with excellent food), then met the rector and others high up the administrative chain. I was then formally introduced to all of the Institute's faculty (you can see photos at http://tinyurl.com/yb5qmwo ). They are fantastic folks! They really seem happy to have me here, and later we all had dinner, Ukrainian-style, in the dining room of the Institute's dormitory. LOTS of food, with traditional meat / potato / cabbage dumplings (pirogi, actually), a delicious type of coleslaw with a light vinaigrette dressing instead of mayo, assorted meats and other stuff, and between talking and eating, several (like 5 or 6) toasts with vodka or brandy - I felt like I was among my kind of people!

2 comments:

  1. Growing up as we did around the world I recall the people that we met when we first arrived at some new base. They were just like your new friends in Poltava. Of course my parents always told us about the supposed 'Red Menace' and how we would be treated very badly in such a place. If my father were still with us I would ask him what happened to that threat he was so worried about and for him to join in with a comment or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me so miss Moscow. My colleagues there were always friendly and of course, the vodka was outstanding. Enjoy every minute.

    ReplyDelete