Letter from Ukraine

This blog is intended to communicate my experiences while in Poltava, Ukraine during Spring 2010 as a Fulbright Lecturer.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Two days in Kyiv (Kiev)


I landed at Kyiv Borispol airport at around 3:50 PM last Tuesday. An uneventful flight on Hungarian Malev Airlines from Budapest to Kyiv (more free sandwiches on this flight, but, alas, no beer - which was okay since the Budapest airport had an excellent British-style pub inside). I saw them loading my large Eddie Bauer rolling duffel on the plane as we boarded, so I knew all would be well in terms of non-lost luggage. Then Kyiv, where they actually X-rayed all incoming luggage, and scrupulously looked at my visa, but no problems. I was met by a representative from the Fulbright office in Kyiv, who although spoke no English at all, was very helpful in negotiating the incredibly crowded streets of Kyiv and locating my rental apartment in what was now a dark and icy evening. I was met at the apartment by the owner, a very nice lady who actually did speak a few words of English, and helpfully showed me how to work the two remote controls for the TV and satellite system and apologetically explained there were only two English - language channels available, being CNN International and the trusty BBC. I really didn't care, as I just wanted to get settled in. As it turns out, about 100 meters outside the apartment there was a small grocery store with a conveniently located money exchange booth inside (these are everywhere in Kyiv, for some reason). Although there was also a decent-looking restaurant quite near it (not to mention a McDonald's down the street), many of you know that I absolutely do not like eating at restaurants unless required to, or as a special treat with family and / or friends. Well, not if I am alone and there's a grocery store nearby! So I stocked up on the requisite items - bread, cheese, oranges, tomatoes, pickles, some delicious locally made salami suggested by a nice lady behind the meat counter, and, of course, some Ukrainian beer. I have uploaded a photo of this sumptuous feast in my Kyiv apartment's kitchen which although grainy (all photos are taken with my Motorola cell phone - sorry!); it should give you an idea of what my idea of a "home-made meal" looks like ...

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy the sausage, bread and vodka. You are in the best place for all three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. Looking forward to your posts and photos. I'm not big on eating out either, but if I was visiting another country I give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found the beer! Looks cold. I will be following your posts!

    ReplyDelete