Letter from Ukraine

This blog is intended to communicate my experiences while in Poltava, Ukraine during Spring 2010 as a Fulbright Lecturer.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Guest appearances










On Thursday I was invited by a teacher at a local school to speak to her classroom of 6th grade students. They are learning English, and spoke it rather well, I thought, so it was very interesting - they had great questions about everything from schools in the US to my personal hobbies and impressions of Ukraine. Afterwards, they all came up and wanted me to sign notes to them - as if I were famous or something! (Note to ICL faculty: I could get used to this very easily, so watch out when I get back ...!)

On Saturday I was invited to attend the opening "ceremonies" of a regional Olympiad (competition) for students of informatics. The age group seemed to be around 15, so this was likely a ninth grade competition, and I was informed that there are other regional informatics competitions held with different age groups. One of my students, an informatics teacher, was present as well. After some pomp and ceremony held in the auditorium of the Poltava University of Consumer Cooperatives in Ukraine (aka the Cooperative University), where I was actually recognized and introduced from the podium as a visiting professor from America (ICL faculty are you getting all this. ..?), the students were sent to one of several computer labs in the building. They were given four problems to solve, split into two days: two on Saturday and two on Sunday, with the winners announced on Sunday afternoon (where I am soon headed). I asked if I could see the problems, and someone kindly translated them into English (more or less) using Google. Wow! These were not entry level Internet or software problems, but actual programming challenges to solve the problems given them: one was related to creating a program to solve a contradictory time clock problem, another involved productivity of robots with a defined "life" span, another involved feeding cats left home while on vacation, and the other I don't recall. But they said they would let me have a printout of the translated problems today, after the competition ends. Needless to say, I was impressed. Now, realize that what these kids had been learning was programming - in both PASCAL and C + + - and that I don't teach computer science. So those of you who are programmers and are chuckling at the simple solutions to such problems, go ahead and laugh - in the ninth grade I was struggling to make it through Algebra I! I have uploaded some photos of the students in action, the University's online library area, and a group photo that includes three of the jurors, the fellow in the suit having written the official textbook for 9th and 1oth grade informatics in Ukraine. The other two ladies in the middle are from the Institute where I teach.

1 comment:

  1. We took a gorup of graduate students for two of our Russia visits when I went to Moscow. We also visited one of the schools where the children were learning about Texas. The young students actually knew more than my adult students about the state. ANd YES, they do have a totally different level of respect for teachers and professors over there. However nothing has changed here so you might want to enjoy all this while you can. I so appreciate these logs which remind me of great adventures in Russia. THank you Lee.

    ReplyDelete