Letter from Ukraine

This blog is intended to communicate my experiences while in Poltava, Ukraine during Spring 2010 as a Fulbright Lecturer.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Some thoughts about my work here...

Note: I started this two weeks ago, but did not post it here for whatever reason; tonight was my third and final session with my first group of students/teachers, so I find it appropriate to post my initial and my final reactions; here they are:

Feb. 3, 2010: This evening was my first experience teaching in Poltava. I was very impressed by the serious dedication the teachers provided in each activity. I was also impressed by the questions I was asked in regards to educational technology in the U.S., such as do we have a standardized curriculum for math, science, and informatics. I found myself relating that no, we do not have anything close to a "standardized" curriculum for the entire U.S., as each state and subsequently individual districts often mandate their own version of a required curriculum. When made to reflect on this, I find myself thinking that maybe we are not as advanced as others in the world, in terms of education. In fact, we may be far from being the most advanced - in many areas. Informatics (information science) is a required course for secondary students here - even when there is only one computer in the classroom!
Feb. 17, 2010: Today is my last day with my first informatics teachers group; after last week's session, which went only so-so, I asked my contact what I should do to improve the sessions. She told me that I should make the teachers (my students) go "deeper". So this week I shortened the presentation and added a very big assignment: create a technology-infused lesson plan for a specific grade level, including all the components of a typical lesson plan: Subject, topic, grade level, learning objectives, timeframe, required resources, required technologies, activities, student product, assessment (tied to learning objectives), and student reflection. First of all, I had cleared this with my contact/translator, asking if this American-style lesson plan was asking too much, and she assured me that it was not. However... when I finished explaining the lesson plan components (which were already translated on a separate, simultaneously projected PowerPoint), a twenty minute discussion ensued, which seemed to devolve into several arguments. Then they all stopped, went for a break and the hot tea, coffee, and food that was served, and eventually came back and got right down to work. I have no idea what all the discussion was about, as I thought what was required of them was fairly straight-forward, but I gathered that there was some confusion over the lesson plan components. Apparently thinking "out of the box" - and I get the distinct feeling that their educational box is quite restrictive - is a process that is not used very much here. So it will be very interesting to see the results. Later I will give them three surveys I have adapted and had translated: one is the TIMSS questionnaire (thanks, Sally!), then a short survey I created vis-a-vis their and their students' use of computers and Internet both at home and in the classroom; and finally a standard instructor/presenter evaluation. I really want to gauge how they feel about my work with them, as I have three more groups to work with during my stay here. More on their responses next time!

4 comments:

  1. If only everything could be resolved with a cup of hot tea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to really be enjoying yourself! Sounds like a great learning experience for all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glorias Dixon! I thought that might be you following as "gdixon"! How have you been? For all who do not know, Glorias is a GRANT WRITER EXTRAORDINAIRE with the Dallas Independent School District! She asssisted me in securing millions in E-Rate funds (back when it was "clean") for the DISD and is simply a jewel of a person! Thank you for being here, Glorias!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, it's me! You know I have to keep up with your "around the world" adventures : - ) Still here holding down the fort. I should be passing through your city this summer and will make sure I stop to say hi to you and Vicki. Take care and keep the posts coming.

    ReplyDelete