Letter from Ukraine

This blog is intended to communicate my experiences while in Poltava, Ukraine during Spring 2010 as a Fulbright Lecturer.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Notes on travel, Pt. 2

Okay, so I get to Venezia Marco Polo airport just fine and I am greeted by my long-time best friend Michael (or Maiko, If you prefer). The next three days are spent reminiscing over old times, current events, and music. I ostentatiously demand that we partake of PIZZA at least twice during my stay, and am accomodated; needless to say - YUM!
On Tuesday I get a ride to Venezia Marco Polo airport, which is, after considering the other airports, an amazingly great experience. The security is full-on (soldiers / policemen dappertutto), but once past the security area - a fantastic cafe / bar! With fresh brioche and other treats available as if on a street cafe in Venice. FANTASTICO! Yes, once again, noi italiani sappiamo come fare ..!
Okay, next - a ride on a CarpataAir turbo prop plane. I will admit that I was a bit disconcerted when I boarded this flight, but then was pleasantly surprised by the wonderful courtesy and attention recieved by the crew on this short transit flight. On a flight lasting only one-and-a-half hours we were served complimentary sandwiches and beverages - I will note that the only beer available was MILLER GENUINE DRAFT (????) distributed by a brewery in - Moldova! Who knew??
The next leg was a relatively brief and mostly unnotable voyage from Budapest, Hungary (a city that I would love to visit some day) to Kiev, Ukraine. And then the next chapter begins ...

1 comment:

  1. I want to thank you for your detailed blog. Those of us too old for great adventures can live through yours. I found the trains across Russia to be really interesting and cannot wait to hear more of your experiences. Thank you Lee.

    ReplyDelete