Letter from Ukraine

This blog is intended to communicate my experiences while in Poltava, Ukraine during Spring 2010 as a Fulbright Lecturer.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Interesting week, Pt. 3: The Celebration


On Friday the Institute celebrated the March 8 Women's Day with an all out effort and performances by the male faculty, administration & staff members for the women (the women did the same on Men's Day, a couple of weeks ago). The reason it was celebrated on the 5th is that March 8th is a national holiday here (coincidentally also the anniversary of the Russian Revolution).

I was asked to participate, so in keeping with the culture (and not having a playable guitar available readily) I played the balalaika, Dedicating the performance to my truly awesome contact / translator / colleague here with a version of Lara's Theme from Dr. Zhivago (her name is Lara). The song is over forty years old, and was actually written by a Frenchman (Maurice Jarre), but I heard a few oldsters humming along, so despite having picked up the instrument and learned the song (and instrument) in three hours that morning, I guess I did okay.

Everyone then repaired to the adjacent room for sweets, shampanske (sparkling wine), and brandy, people dancing and singing, so I could say it was a great day ... It's fascinating that these folks are fairly reserved until it's time to "party", but boy, they do know how to party when it's time!

As you can see from the video, I made the best of this potentially disastrous situation...

6 comments:

  1. They do give the best parties ever. Did any of the men do the glass of vodka on the back of their hand toast to the women?It is a traditional toast to women in Moscow. That is one Mourat would do to toast me.

    Learning the balalaika in 3 hours is really something. I had forgotten how talented you are.

    BTW these blogs are the highlight of my week. I save them to read when I am at the end of my intellectual rope here. Enjoy all and learn everything about their teacher training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why, thank ye kindly, Sally. Your praise is highly appreciated way over here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lee, Loved the performance, but can you play Foggy Mountain Breakdown on that thing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee, fine job!! I remember going into the A/V classroom and finding you in that same position playing whatever came to mind. Today is the Vernal Equinox so I hope things are going to warm up there.

    ReplyDelete